Skip to main content

Fighting The Imposter

 January of 2023 can be summed up in two words: Imposter Syndrome.


The beginning of the calendar year is always a battle. This year has actually been better than usual. The winter has been much warmer and gentler, and getting outside is so important for maintaining good mental health.

Even so, it's been a bit rough. Every year has been improving, so I am hopeful that I'll have an even, calm January at some point. It's definitely getting closer.

I had such lofty hopes this year. I always do. This year I did better with that, too, but I once again did not consider my January struggles when making my plans. 

Anyway, back to the Imposter.

One of my plans for the very start of the year was a virtual 5k for a group that I have been chosen to be an ambassador for in 2023. It's called Still I Run, and it's all about using running to help manage mental health. Part of being an ambassador is posting about how I use running to handle my own challenges. I was so excited to be selected. I'd been following SIR for a year, and it's a really positive and uplifting nonprofit. I planned to run the race on the 1st and post pictures of the medal and the sweet headband that came with registration.

Then the Imposter snuck in. 

I'd been dealing with it for a while already, but it was focused solely on my writing career until January. This time of year is full of messages of weight loss and self loathing, and my defenses were down. I was distracted by writing and had become too comfortable in my new healthier relationship with food and body image. 

January 1st came and went. I didn't do the race. I didn't post about my new ambassador status. I barely ran. I just avoided it all. Running (and really all physical activities) have a lot of complicated emotions attached, and I am still working on believing in my own worthiness and abilities. I told myself I would do it some time during January and write a post about just needing a couple weeks to get the year started.

January came and went. I didn't run a 5k. I didn't post anything. I didn't earn the medal that was sitting on my desk staring accusingly at me every day. Honestly, by the end of January, I was convinced I might be done running. I was definitely not able to help anyone else when I couldn't even make myself run a 5k. I planned on writing to Still I Run and giving up my ambassadorship. I was a complete phony, and I had decided to stop pretending.

But, if I have learned nothing else from therapy, I have learned that my brain is often very, very wrong. I wasn't given the correct information growing up. I've had to question everything I ever accepted as truth, and I've found a lot of it to be complete fabrication. 

I've been thinking a lot about the stories we tell ourselves - and the ones others place on us. I've learned that the roles and limitations given to me are not necessarily mine to carry. But, I have to choose to put them down. I have to learn how to believe something else.

One story I have always had is that I am fat and unathletic. I am not a runner. I can't run.

Only one of these things is true. I am fat. There's been a lot of contributing factors, but I'm so sick of discussing it. It's not worth my time and energy. The thing that has changed about this is that I no longer hate myself for it. I don't hate fatness. I see the beauty in all sizes. I am even beginning to see it in myself. Something I have never been able to do - not even at my thinnest. 

The rest of it is completely false. Stories fed to me by others. Maybe they thought it was for the best. I doubt it, but maybe. Whatever the reasons, it made an indelible impression. One that had ruined quite a few things in my life.

The truth is, I love running. Then I feel like I shouldn't because I am "not a runner." I shouldn't be allowed to love it. Or even say I do it. 

I let this story steal a lot from me. The thing I regret is not celebrating or appreciating the marathon I ran. I had so many reasons that it wasn't good enough, and I didn't let myself appreciate the fact that I ran/walked 26.2 miles as well as all the training leading up to it. Now that I want to start distance running again (and I am much older), I can see how much work I did and how impressed I should have been. But, I have never allowed myself to succeed in any way. It makes me sad when I think about it too much.

So, it took me 37 days to get started, but I am ready to take on this year. I am going to allow myself to enjoy things and celebrate the smallest victories. I am going to give myself a break and just try to enjoy my pursuits. I'm going to continue to fight the Imposter. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ReRunning & Writing: My Healing Adventure

  Another week of running is done, and I added lifting this past week, too. I’m on Day 56 of my run streak, and I’m feeling good. My legs were tired during the week, so I did easier runs this weekend and didn’t do anything long. No need to rush the distance training. I am really trying to listen to my body and do what’s best for it. I owe it after all the years of hating it and doing everything I could to diminish it.  I love having a new running buddy. I miss Moo a lot still, and sometimes Oscar is so much like him. He’s a wonderful, little dude in his own right, too. I love watching him discover things and experience so much of life for the first time. He’s also a really good runner most days, and he’s getting faster and faster. He definitely pushes me some days. He’s a good trainer. 😆 So, I finally dragged myself back to my weight room, and I am a changed woman. There is honestly nothing (exercise-wise) that I love more than lifting. I had been feeling really low energy, tired, sor

ReRunning & Writing: Accept - Forgive - Heal

  I’ve been battling with my brain lately. I have managed to run every day, and I am on Day 50 of my running streak. That’s great. It is important to my mental health to be outside and moving every single day. But, I have been struggling with doing longer runs. I have been craving a nice, long run, but every weekend when the time comes, I begin the battle with my brain, and I lose every time.  Until this past weekend. I finally managed to drag myself out of the house and do a 5 mile run. In my mind that doesn’t seem like much. My idea of distance has been warped since the first time I trained for a marathon. I’m working on staying present in this moment and accepting where I am at today . It’s been a real challenge. I remember when things were so much easier. I remember when I was driven to push myself all the time and was young enough to recover quickly. The truth is, I have let life toss me around a bunch since then - it’s been a decade. I am not where I was back then, but I did not

A Calmer, Happier Place

  It’s a new week, and I am hitting the ground running – ha. I completed Week 1 of the couch to marathon program . It went pretty well. I did every workout – well, one of them I only did half of the intervals because it was 10:30 at night, and I was plodding away on my treadmill after the day got away from me. But, I did most of it, and that is fine with me. The best part is the calmness that comes with regular running. There is no denying the benefits to my mental health that come with regular running. I had a moment recently that was really upsetting and tested the work I have been doing and the healing that has occurred. Because of running I started out in a much better place and handled the whole situation in a much calmer way. I used to be so reactive. My anger has always been immediate and immense. It makes me cringe so hard to think about some of it. But, we are not our pasts. We are this moment only, and the future is all possibility. Anyway, I recently had an experience that