Skip to main content

Forever Starting Over

 



Lately, I haven’t been great with follow through - at least not with my running goals. The run streak went well, but that was done quite a while ago. I have been focused on other things, and the past two months have been filled with grief. Sometimes you just have to get through day by day until the storm passes.

The final blow was losing my dog, Mooner. aka Moon Dog - aka Moo

He was my buddy for almost all of my runs, and I loved our adventures together. It has been absolutely awful losing him, and I have struggled to go for a run. Every good running spot makes me miss him. Then I am either sad or angry and have no interest in running. What’s the point without him trotting along in front of me?

Now, I know there are a lot of other reasons to go for a run, and I know that I need running in my life for my own sanity. I’ve managed a couple of runs, but the motivation is severely lacking. I needed a goal.

Cue random email.

I received an email the other day from someone who has a couch to marathon plan that they offer on their site for free. The site is runnersblueprint.com, and they have a ton of great running info as well as this program for free.

A couch to marathon program seems perfect right now. It starts out super easy, which is great since I have 0 motivation at the moment. It also keeps things very simple. The non-running days are mostly labeled rest or cross train. I like variety and also feeling like I have input into my own training, and this will allow that as well as allowing me to listen to what my body needs on a day to day basis. I have no interest in getting injured this time around.

Marathon has been the plan for the first step in a larger goal, and this is perfect. Nice and easy. I am planning to run my own marathon because I know I am not ready for the anxiety of being at a crowded race start. This crossed my path at the perfect time, and I feel ready to take it on. Check out the link above to follow along - or join me if you’re chasing 26.2. We can share training tales.

In hopes of maintaining motivation, I am going to try blogging daily about my training. Today was Day 1, but this program starts with a rest/cross train day. I did a mix of rower and lifting. I love a good weights sesh, but the rower and I are not besties. I’ve never actually incorporated actual cross training before, so I am going to make an effort to do it right this time.

I feel like I am forever starting over.

It’s only recently that I’ve realized that starting over is not a bad thing. It’s not really starting over. A better term would be trying again. That’s how I try to think about it now. Because I am always starting from somewhere new. I have new experiences. New information. There is growth in every attempt. And, it slowly adds up.

So, I’ll just keep trying. I am excited about this new attempt.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ReRunning & Writing: My Healing Adventure

  Another week of running is done, and I added lifting this past week, too. I’m on Day 56 of my run streak, and I’m feeling good. My legs were tired during the week, so I did easier runs this weekend and didn’t do anything long. No need to rush the distance training. I am really trying to listen to my body and do what’s best for it. I owe it after all the years of hating it and doing everything I could to diminish it.  I love having a new running buddy. I miss Moo a lot still, and sometimes Oscar is so much like him. He’s a wonderful, little dude in his own right, too. I love watching him discover things and experience so much of life for the first time. He’s also a really good runner most days, and he’s getting faster and faster. He definitely pushes me some days. He’s a good trainer. 😆 So, I finally dragged myself back to my weight room, and I am a changed woman. There is honestly nothing (exercise-wise) that I love more than lifting. I had been feeling really low energy, tired, sor

ReRunning & Writing: Accept - Forgive - Heal

  I’ve been battling with my brain lately. I have managed to run every day, and I am on Day 50 of my running streak. That’s great. It is important to my mental health to be outside and moving every single day. But, I have been struggling with doing longer runs. I have been craving a nice, long run, but every weekend when the time comes, I begin the battle with my brain, and I lose every time.  Until this past weekend. I finally managed to drag myself out of the house and do a 5 mile run. In my mind that doesn’t seem like much. My idea of distance has been warped since the first time I trained for a marathon. I’m working on staying present in this moment and accepting where I am at today . It’s been a real challenge. I remember when things were so much easier. I remember when I was driven to push myself all the time and was young enough to recover quickly. The truth is, I have let life toss me around a bunch since then - it’s been a decade. I am not where I was back then, but I did not

A Calmer, Happier Place

  It’s a new week, and I am hitting the ground running – ha. I completed Week 1 of the couch to marathon program . It went pretty well. I did every workout – well, one of them I only did half of the intervals because it was 10:30 at night, and I was plodding away on my treadmill after the day got away from me. But, I did most of it, and that is fine with me. The best part is the calmness that comes with regular running. There is no denying the benefits to my mental health that come with regular running. I had a moment recently that was really upsetting and tested the work I have been doing and the healing that has occurred. Because of running I started out in a much better place and handled the whole situation in a much calmer way. I used to be so reactive. My anger has always been immediate and immense. It makes me cringe so hard to think about some of it. But, we are not our pasts. We are this moment only, and the future is all possibility. Anyway, I recently had an experience that