Skip to main content

More Balance, More Peace



I made it. 


That’s all I can think about today. While I still have residual anxiety during the day, I am beginning to relax and realize that this is my life now. Calm, creative, fulfilling, full of love, joyful, and peaceful. I am happy. Truly happy. 


What a beautiful gift. To have my life laid out before me with ample opportunities. To be in a place where even if nothing ever changed and no new opportunities ever came, that I would still be satisfied and happy. And, I know that the universe has more good in store for me. I get to continue to heal. To meet the real me. 


I am so fucking grateful. I have moments of pure peace. Pure bliss. Something I never thought I was allowed. Something I didn’t think I deserved. I thought you had to be miserable to prove your worth. But, I found my worth. Or realized it. I am worthy now. Always have been. I do sometimes regret that I lost so much time, but I am also so, so, so grateful that I got out of it with so much left (I hope, anyway). I’m so grateful I’ve gotten this far. I love this amazing life. I made it.


I am obviously in an upswing at the moment, but I’ll take it. More and more I just exist on this plane, and I am dumbfounded. I never would have expected it. I didn’t even know this was possible. I was convinced I would be dead by 40. 


 

Well, I’m not dead, but it was a major turning point. I stopped believing my abuse and started believing in myself. I started questioning all of my thoughts. The ones that showed up all day, every day to torment me. Am I a terrible person? To whom? Not my husband or kids, who I adore and would do anything for. They know how deeply I love them. Not the kids I worked with. They thought I was a fun theatre teacher. Not the animals I care for with all my heart. They feel safe with me. They run to my room when they’re scared. 


So, am I a terrible person? No. That thought is old. Passed down through the generations of my family. It is not mine. I do not have to carry it. 


This is where I can find a silver lining to my trauma. Believing my worthlessness made me work so hard to be useful to people. To care for people and prove that I am not, in fact, terrible. It taught me love and kindness and patience. Now, yes, I overdid it, and I tried to love people who were not ever going to love me in return. This desperate need to be loved and accepted caused a lot of harm over the years. 


But, standing on the other side of it all, having learned to set boundaries and to love myself without input from anyone else, I can see the benefit of all those painful, terrible years. It has made me a kind, loving human being.


It makes me incredibly happy and also incredibly sad. As a child, my great-grandmother was my idol. I absolutely adored her. Everyone did. She was sweet and kind and helpful to everyone she met. I wanted to be just like her, and I feel like I am. But, with boundaries. Because now I see how people used her kindness. I have learned that some people will take and take and take, but if you dare to ask for anything in return, you will be scorned. It’s a hard lesson. I like to believe in the goodness of people, but there have to be limits to protect myself. I learned this lesson the hard way.


As all things, balance is key. I can embrace the goodness of my great-grandmother while also being selective about who receives my love and kindness. I deserve some of that love and kindness, too, and it is not a selfish thing to take care of myself first.


This is a work in progress, of course. I am constantly working on finding balance in my life. In all areas. More balance brings more peace, and I am enjoying my peace. I finally believe I deserve it. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ReRunning & Writing: My Healing Adventure

  Another week of running is done, and I added lifting this past week, too. I’m on Day 56 of my run streak, and I’m feeling good. My legs were tired during the week, so I did easier runs this weekend and didn’t do anything long. No need to rush the distance training. I am really trying to listen to my body and do what’s best for it. I owe it after all the years of hating it and doing everything I could to diminish it.  I love having a new running buddy. I miss Moo a lot still, and sometimes Oscar is so much like him. He’s a wonderful, little dude in his own right, too. I love watching him discover things and experience so much of life for the first time. He’s also a really good runner most days, and he’s getting faster and faster. He definitely pushes me some days. He’s a good trainer. 😆 So, I finally dragged myself back to my weight room, and I am a changed woman. There is honestly nothing (exercise-wise) that I love more than lifting. I had been feeling really low energy, tired, sor

ReRunning & Writing: Accept - Forgive - Heal

  I’ve been battling with my brain lately. I have managed to run every day, and I am on Day 50 of my running streak. That’s great. It is important to my mental health to be outside and moving every single day. But, I have been struggling with doing longer runs. I have been craving a nice, long run, but every weekend when the time comes, I begin the battle with my brain, and I lose every time.  Until this past weekend. I finally managed to drag myself out of the house and do a 5 mile run. In my mind that doesn’t seem like much. My idea of distance has been warped since the first time I trained for a marathon. I’m working on staying present in this moment and accepting where I am at today . It’s been a real challenge. I remember when things were so much easier. I remember when I was driven to push myself all the time and was young enough to recover quickly. The truth is, I have let life toss me around a bunch since then - it’s been a decade. I am not where I was back then, but I did not

A Calmer, Happier Place

  It’s a new week, and I am hitting the ground running – ha. I completed Week 1 of the couch to marathon program . It went pretty well. I did every workout – well, one of them I only did half of the intervals because it was 10:30 at night, and I was plodding away on my treadmill after the day got away from me. But, I did most of it, and that is fine with me. The best part is the calmness that comes with regular running. There is no denying the benefits to my mental health that come with regular running. I had a moment recently that was really upsetting and tested the work I have been doing and the healing that has occurred. Because of running I started out in a much better place and handled the whole situation in a much calmer way. I used to be so reactive. My anger has always been immediate and immense. It makes me cringe so hard to think about some of it. But, we are not our pasts. We are this moment only, and the future is all possibility. Anyway, I recently had an experience that